If you are going to buy an automatic pet feeder for your cat then you probably you want the very best on the market within your price bracket. Before I buy anything I always look at other peoples reviews before making up my mind.
I would always recommend someone comes in to feed your cat if you have to go away, especially if for more than one night. If this isn’t possible then a good reliable automatic feeder is a must. You might wonder why you can’t just leave a very large bowl of dry food and then swan off for the weekend. The answer is simple: Your cat is might eat it all as soon as you leave and be hungry for the next two days.
I’ve spent several days looking at automatic feeders online and have spoken to friends and family who use them to come up with these three:
My first choice
I’m happy to recommend the PetSafe 5-Meal Pet Feeder (click here to see it on Amazon.com) My mother-in-law has one and I’ve seen it in action. She says it works perfectly every time. It also gets great reviews wherever I look.
These are the features that make it appealing:
- It has an easy to program digital screen.
- You can use AM and PM settings for up to 5 meals.
- An automatic program can set a single time for four consecutive days (dry food only)
- A fresh meal is available immediately in the first compartment, then will rotate up to four more set times.
- The tray is dishwasher safe for easy cleaning.
- It’s battery-operated and so will function during a power cut
- The lid keeps up to four meals fresh for any day
- It can be used for wet or dry food
If you decide to purchase one of these, I would recommend keeping a supply of D sized batteries handy as it uses 4 at a time. If you use one of these to provide 4 dry meals make sure you leave plenty of water down too.
My Second Choice
If you have more than one cat, or a cat and a dog, the Surefeed Microchip Petfeeder (available on Amazon.com) may be just what you need.
If you have cats which have different dietary requirements you can buy each of them one of these automatic feeders which will only open when it reads the correct cat’s microchip. You will need to have your cats microchipped for this type of feeder to work or you can purchase an RFID collar tag. Basically, the feeder will only open for the cat for whom the food is intended and it will close when that cat stops eating. If you have a dog then it can kiss goodbye to sneaky treats of left-over cat food. And your cat’s food will stay fly-free all day which is definitely a bonus.
The unit requires 4 C batteries so keep a supply available at all times.
The unit can store up to 32 identities (I can’t quite imagine that many pets sharing one bowl!). It is also suitable for wet or dry food.
My Third Choice
Finally, The Petsafe Healthy Pet Feeder (Amazon.com) is another great feeder. My only reason for placing it third is because it is only for dry food.
Its good points are:
- It can deliver up to 12 meals a day.
- Portion sizes can be modified so smaller or larger meals are possible at different times.
- You can opt to deliver larger meals at a slow pace to prevent your pet from scoffing it all in one go.
- The locking lid helps keep the food fresh.
- It gets amazing reviews.